Melatonin has been found to be effective in treatment of sleep-wake cycle conditions, especially in combination with light therapy. Patients suffering from delayed sleep phase syndrome and related problems have shown improvement as their daytime alertness went up and nighttime sleep readiness increased. To sum up, melatonin therapy, best applied under the guidance of your physician, can be useful for:
• people afflicted by sleep problems,
• people often experiencing jet lag, traveling between time zones,
• people with reduced light exposure due to working night shifts or poor vision,
• women suffering from menopause-driven sleep problems
• people with seasonal affective disorder (winter blues).